Winter comfort food! You can double this for a potluck, delicious! Bonus....it is FAT FREE!
Fragrant Curried Sweet Rice with Kale & Chickpeas
1.5 cups brown rice (or use a mixture of wild, red and brown or white)
3-4 cups of veggie broth plus extra for sauteeing ( you can use a boxed broth for ease)
2.5 Tbsp of mild curry powder
1 T onion powder
1.5 tsp chili powder
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika ( use regular if that's what you have)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced ( about 4) (or green beans, sweet potato, squash or combo)
3/4 cup shredded,chopped kale (cut out the spine)
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped finely (you could use raisins)
! 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas drained (I used Eden brand, no BPA)
Juice of 1/2 lemon ( you could add orange too)
salt to taste
hot sauce to taste
1. Put the rice and all spices into a large pot with the broth and cook according to the directions for the rice.( Usually simmer for about 25-35 minutes)
2. Chop onion, carrot and kale and dates.
3. In a skillet, coat the bottom with veggie broth and heat. When starting to simmer, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, add the carrots (and any other veggie you want to add) and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add extra broth to keep from sticking. You can turn it down a bit and then add the dates and kale.
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the drained chickpeas, onion/carrot/kale mixture and lemon (+orange) juice.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. salt and pepper and hot sauce etc.